Friday, February 8, 2008

I don't sleep


I don't have any excuses. I really don't. Most of the nights I don't sleep it's just due to my idiocy. Well, I've done self-psychoanalysis and come to the conclusion that I stay up late because I worry that I will miss something. It's definitely subconscious. Now, for the first three semesters of my college career, I would just sleep in and skip classes when it got to be bad. But lately I've been forcing myself to go because I'm trying to get into the School of Education. However, I make up for it on the weekends and suffer for it during the week. The funny thing is that I miss more by sleeping in because it's poor use of daylight. I'm sleeping while people are awake.

Okay, that's not true at all. Everyone's hungover on weekends and sleeps as late as I do. Although, with the way people drink around here, I could see them being passed out really early. I was walking down the street on Friday last week, and a girl hits me and goes "Hey, Sexy" and stumbles all over the place, and I go "Seriously? It's 7 o'clock". But that's Madison for you.

I dunno, I guess I just like being awake at night. I don't know what it is. I guess I just keep telling myself to hold out until something eventful happens and then I can sleep. But I always just end up looking for new bands for hours and stuff, because everyone else is sleeping. And usually the one night I am falling over tired is the night I'm racked with homework.

I might be able to go to sleep now though, because I did something eventful. I just called someone and sang "Hit Me Baby One More Time" in Robert Goulet's voice (for your own amusement, please click on that link). Yeah, this is what I've been reduced to for entertainment at 1:27 AM on a Thursday night / Friday morning.

In other news, I helped push three people's cars out of the snow that I just happened to walk by in the two blocks on the way home from intramural hockey. Also in other news the song "Will You Be There" by Michael Jackson just game on my iTunes. You know, the one from Free Willy. It's the only MJ song i own (a result of a Graduation mix a friend made me), and it came on because I just got to the end of my Menomena collection. There's got to be a Michael Jackson joke where the punch-like is about freeing little boys' willies (no link here, that'd be creepy).

So, in honor of my failure to sleep, the song of the day will be the Strokes' "Fear of Sleep" from the album "First Impressions of Earth". I'm sure many of you are familiar with the Strokes, but in case you didn't know, they're from New York. I don't know what to say about the Strokes. I know a lot about them, but there's no real interesting fact I can give you. They're one of Conan O'Brien's favorite bands? I have a poster of them on my wall? Their guitarist, Albert Hammond, Jr. put out a really good solo album last year? Yeah, I dunno. But their music keeps getting better in my opinion.

The Strokes' "Fear of Sleep"
The Strokes' myspace
The Strokes' official website

No comments: